Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Arrival in Austria



I keep thinking to myself, WOAH, this day is never ending.. then I quickly remember its two days mashed together, duh. And at the end of this second day I have only slept 3 hours within 48 hours. I have problems sleeping on planes. Something to do with my long legs not letting me sleep unless they're off the ground. Its near impossible to get those suckers Indian style on a plane chair. OR, the fact that I was sitting right next to the bathroom and there was a constant flow of women in line staring at me while waiting. I have sleep fright apparently. But luckily they played We Bought A Zoo  to keep me company.

We arrived at our hostel around 10 a.m. Viennese time. We got settled and took it easy today, but forced ourselves to stay awake to recover from jet lag quicker. So, we walked around the side of town we're staying, ran into a flower shop and documented as a shout out to my mom.
Saw this nice beemer get side swiped by a recycling truck. They take their recycling seriously here.

had to.

This is Stevie and Kaityn, you'll be seeing a lot of them. There are still two more girls on their way to the Hostel and will hopefully arrive within the next 12 hours.



In our lobby of the hostel


Our room has 5 bed. 2 bunk beds.





After we met up with more of the group, we just got used to the town square at St. Stephens Cathedral that we'll meet at daily

The ceiling is covered with over 230,000 glazed tiles.

There was carriage rides going on, it was tempting but we refrained and walked.

The weather was way gloomy and rained on us quite a bit. Hopefully we have blue skies soon.


I did a series of old people in Switzerland last summer, and so it was natural instinct to just stalk this lovely couple.


SUPER windy too. But this is 4 out of the 7 girls. One being Heather (far rights) mom, whose awwesome.


I'm excited to be living in the middle of Vienna, because its like living in the middle of a city, Which had a different feel then the other smaller places I've stayed in Europe. Quite a bit more hustle and bustle.

reminded me of my dad for some reason


its my favorite thing when moisture and age makes the metals on these building have that teal rust effect.

The first supper together.

agua

This is our professors wifey, who grew up in Vienna, so it was great having her around.

Margherita pizza

Some other combo artichoke pizza. It was all stupendous.



Well that concludes the first 2 days of my travels. Starting tomorrow we will be doing much more sight seeing, etc. 
I love it here

5 comments:

  1. So much to say; I'll get to it later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! DON'T stop all the picture posting! Just a small side note...The teal roof rusting is called patina and it only does that on copper ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh i'm so excited to follow your travels! have sooooo much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Channi! You took one of my favorite comments right out from under my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question on one of the photos - the one between the last photo of the Cathedral and the first photo of the old couple: which one is Kaitlyn, and which one is Stevie?

    ReplyDelete